The Magnificent Cucumber
Cucumbers do so much more than just decrease puffy eyes…..they have so many vitamins and antioxidants you need every day. Just one cucumber contains: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, and enzymes.
Here are a few benefits of each vitamin contained in cucumbes:
- Vit A: Smooths, firms skin
- Vit C: Brightens, antioxidant, skin lightening
- Vit K: Reduces dark circles
- Vit D: Firms the skin
- Vit B1: Responsible for converting sugar into energy
- Vit B2: Useful in preventing conditions such as acne, dermatitis, arthritis, and eczema. Helps clear the skin, Helps repair damaged tissues and allows wounds to heal more quickly.
- Vit B3: Decrease in heart disease and helps lower the level of bad cholesterol.
- Vit B5: Patients having undergone surgery may be prescribed vitamin B5 supplements to ensure speedy healing and can prevent acne and hair loss
- Vit B6: Help the process of metabolism, tissue repair, cell production.
- Folic Acid: Fetal development, Production of red blood cells, Helps in depression, Helps keep brain young
- Calcium: Prevents osteoporosis; Keeps you slim and trim; may combat cancer; heart-healthy
- Iron: Hemoglobin formation, oxygen carrier, muscle function, brain function.
- Magnesium: Transmission of nerve impulses, body temperature regulation, detoxification, energy production, and the formation of healthy bones and teeth.
- Phosphorus: healthy bone formation, improved digestion, regulates excretion, protein formation, hormonal balance, improved energy extraction, cellular repair
- Potassium: Good for the heart, Water level regulator, Pain management, strengthens the bones and the muscles, while promoting faster healing of injuries like cuts and bruises, Mental ability booster.
- Zinc: Regulates immune function, treats diarrhea, helps improve learning and memory, treats the common cold, heals wounds.
- Enzymes: Anti-inflammatory
- Cool temp: Decreases swelling
- Cucumbers are also made of 95% water, which makes them a super hydrator. Add cucumbers to water to make a super power drink. With all the nutrients and benefits listed, you could be reaping benefits like great skin and a heathy body just by adding a few slices to your water.
- Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache
- Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
- Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemical in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
- Stressed out and don’t have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
- Just finished a business lunch and realize you don’t have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the photochemical will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
Now that’s an incredible vegetable!